- “Residential” was the buzzword this year in office design. Many showrooms used finishes, furniture, and layouts that gave the workplace a more “homey” feel.
- A big part of the residential feel were the flexible office settings seen in many of the showrooms, to accommodate & adapt to the multiple types of employees & technology in the workplace. We saw lots of adjustability in furniture for the physical and social needs of the worker. Showrooms featured layouts for very private meetings & work settings, to very open, social cafes.
- However, very open workstations are a thing of the past it seemed. Panels are being raised a little higher to maintain some privacy for workers. Consideration for acoustics was a big drive for this.
- Back-painted glass was on everything! We saw it used as doors on office furniture, lockers, toilet partitions, table tops, and marker boards.
- Large, bold graphics & patterns were big on upholstery and wallcovering.
- A gray-brown wood appeared to be the new release in many manufacturer’s finish lines. Also big was maintaining the look of the raw material in furniture.
- The hexagon patterns of NeoCon 2013 are still big. Also very present were chevron/herringbone patterns. Think flooring, walls, fabric, furniture, everything!
- Mid-century style furniture and patterns were very common in the furniture & showroom designs this year. This style definitely went hand in hand with the residential feel and popular finishes & patterns.
- Felt is still a very popular material, especially for walls.
Our Product Picks Patcraft Mixed Materials Collection: A completely new idea that solves one of designers’ biggest problems: transitioning between two different floor materials. Patcraft introduced a new line of carpet and resilient flooring that can be integrated together with no problems. The collection allows designers to mix and match materials and shapes to create completely unique floor patterns. Very cool product and one of our NeoCon favorites. It won Gold in Modular Carpet. Seeyond Architectural Solutions: A relatively new company with a unique freestanding wall system that allows you to craft a complex focal point like never before. Each piece is magnetically put together to easily create organic shapes & forms. LEDs can even light up the wall, column, ceiling cloud, etc to create a more dramatic effect! They earned the best of NeoCon silver award for their lighting solutions. Carvart Glass Toilet Partitions & lockers: Glass was definitely the material to use this year! It creates a very smooth and clean look with a great aesthetic. We really enjoyed hearing about Carvart’s frameless glass (toilet) cubicles with their concealed hardware and minimal gaps. The quiet closure and wide range of color options are also nice bonuses. Steelcase V.I.A. and Susan Cain’s Quiet Spaces : Steelcase introduced their new V.I.A walls, that have excellent acoustics and integrated lighting. Steelcase partnered with Susan Cain to create 4 different “quiet spaces” designed for the introvert using the VIA system (Be Me, Flow, Studio, Green Room, & Mind Share). Each room is designed for different work modes and provides a quiet environment for the user to regroup and focus. The rooms can be set-up to adjust lighting, temperature, and relaxing sounds to each individual user. Knoll’s Washington Skeleton Aluminum Side Chair: Designed by David Adjaye, this chair is both functional and a sculptural work of art. The chair has a unique geometric lattice and is available in an outdoor power coat paint finish or copper plating. This piece was the best of NeoCon Gold recipient in Guest Seating Category. Humanscale Ballo Stool: This stool has a fun round mushroom top that comes in many different colors and acts similar to an exercise ball. It was designed for short term use and provides flexibility, comfort, and movement. It was a big hit for visitors to stop in, test out, and play on this year. Be careful though…you just might roll off if you’re having too much fun! Some other favorites OFS Custom: Riff Ping Pong Table Haworth Openest Collection Height Adjustable Benching: Steelcase and Knoll are just two who featured these. BuzziSpace: BuzziPicnic Herman Miller’s Living Office Arcadia Spot Mobile Benches Encore Particles These are just a few of the cool, new products we saw…there are many more! Did you go to NeoCon this year? Share below some of your favorite products or any trends you saw!