The Princeton Theatre is a historic Art Moderne theater from the late 1940s that originally housed a single screen movie theater. Located one block from the Gibson County courthouse, the exterior was covered over with stucco, the marquee was severely damaged, and the historic interior was lost after the theater was converted to a four-screen theatre. As part of the Stellar Communities program that the City of Princeton was awarded, the theater was envisioned as a working performing arts theater and a community center. Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf, the Architect of Record, was hired to realize that vision. Browning Day’s design for the theater consisted of reconstructing the historic facade and marquee, downsizing the existing auditorium space to accommodate approximately 300 patrons, and creating three new community rooms. The Gibson County Theatre Company owns and operates the building, offering the community rooms for rent to host events such as public meetings, wedding receptions, bridal showers and family reunions. IDO provided interior design services for this historical renovation.
**Photographs taken 1949 – 1955, courtesy of Browning Day Mullins Dierdorf**