By Kelsey Venekamp The sun is shining, the squirrels are playing and you’re inside—buried under folders and sticky notes, sitting at your desk, without a ray of sunshine in sight. With spring in the air and on our minds, now is the perfect time to reflect on the beauty and newness of the season and use that inspiration to de-clutter our workplace in an effort to renew our focus, efficiency, and clarity. Check out these 5 tips below to enhance your mood and reenergize your workday as we approach the beginning of a new season:
- Start a new habit. Who says New Years is the only time for resolutions? (I do, apparently.) Make a spring resolution to keep your desk organized and clean! Put five minutes into your weekly calendar to go through all of the things that you have on your desk—wipe it down with a Lysol wipe, clean out that coffee mug, and vacuum the crumbs from your 3 o’clock snack.
- Toss the ink. What’s more irritating than being on a call with a client, reaching for a pen to jot down a reminder and realizing it’s out of ink? Life’s too short (and so is that phone call!) to be scribbling and shaking. Go through your pens. If it doesn’t work, toss it out!
- Clean your technology. We use them every hour of every day. We even sometimes carry them into the bathroom with us in between meetings. Take the time to wipe down your computer, tablet, and phone. I could Google how many germs live on them, but I think you get the point. While you’re at it, when’s the last time you reset your technology? Powering down every now-and-again helps programs to reset; deletes built up cookies and forces those 42 program updates you’ve been ignoring to be installed.
- Reuse. Recycle. Save trees and start by going as paperless as possible. The box in the corner bursting with archaic technology? Call it “vintage” and pass it off to the hip intern for a new life or find the appropriate way to salvage it. And as for the mound of papers sitting next to you—grab some brightly colored folders and sort through the chaos. If it isn’t confidential or relevant to the last 6 months, recycle it!
- Bring some personality. Winter has come and gone—it’s time to ditch the Christmas cards pinned behind your monitor (this can’t just be me!) and exchange them for some personality. Decorating your workspace with personal items can stimulate your mind and enhance your mood to make you forget all about not being able to see a window for 9 hours!
Spring cleaning may seem like a drag, but it doesn’t have to be! A fresh, clean start can rejuvenate your body and your mind, as well as create a more attractive, more efficient and even a more influential workplace.