By Julie Knight: Since IDO opened its doors at the 601 North Capitol Avenue location, we have been practicing our R’s……… Reduce, Reuse and Recycle as part of our commitment to our LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environment Design) Silver certification awarded to us in 2007 by the USGBC (United States Green Building Council). I decided to go back and take a look at what we, as a company, have been doing, since 2007, to fulfill our promise……….here are just a few examples of the things we are proud of and have accomplished:
- Provided office tours of our “green space” for others to see just how easy and effective creating a sustainable space can be.
- Recycled all office paper using the company, All-Shred. To date, IDO has recycled 6400 pounds or 3.2 tons of paper. This is equal to about 54.4 trees!!!
- Collected and recycled all glass, aluminum and plastics (1-7). This has generated approximately 11,880 gallons of items back into another product. This equals to 2,360 pounds, which did not end up in a landfill.
- Collected and recycled household batteries. This equals to about 110 pounds of batteries that were diverted from our landfills.
- Recycled plotter cartridges, copier toner and photo conduits. About 25 items were recycled.
- Reduced the amount of library samples and specification guides and have been using moreinternet research for our initial design efforts.
- Many of our Associates bring their lunches in reusable tote or washable plastic containers. This saves on our pocket book and the environment.
Here are many more ways to practice the R’s at home:
- Garden to grow your own food
- Give excess to charitable groups
- Sell your stuff on Craiglist or Amazon
- Shop Etsy for homemade gifts or items you can make
- Plan your car errands to save gas
- Check out freecycle.org. This website will help you connect with other people and groups who are giving ‘stuff’ away for free!
What ways are you helping to contribute to the R’s? Let us know!