By: Lindsay Ferro and Yvonne Rush Now that the warm weather is finally here, it is starting to feel like summer! Usually this means an exciting & busy schedule for most, with weekends and evenings full of fun outdoor activities, festivals, concerts, weddings, picnics, parties, etc. As designers and Indy newbies, we were curious to see what kind of summer events Indy has to offer that sparked our interest and/or related to the art & design world. Here are a few things that we will be checking off our exciting Indy summer to-do lists.
- NeoCon 2014: Okay, not in Indy, but of course this is first on our list as it is the biggest design exposition in North America taking place just a short drive north to Chicago from Monday June 9th-Wednesday June 11th! We’ll be there, will you??
- Hop on one of those yellow bikes you’ve been seeing all over downtown and explore the Cultural Trail with the Pacer’s Bikeshare Program. There are 250 bicycles with 25 stations for you to discover the wonderful culture, art, & design that downtown Indy has to offer in an environmentally friendly way. It only costs $8 for an all-day pass or $80 for the year! Be sure to cruise by IDO and say hello!
- Attend one of the IDADA First Friday Art Tours: Every first Friday of the month the IDADA hosts a free self-guided tour from 6-9pm that allows you to visit many different venues and art galleries across downtown. Art, music, and craft beer? Sign these girls up!
- Grab your significant other, friend, coworker, whomever, and go to the Indianapolis ArtsGarden for a free concert during lunch! They host many free luncheon concerts and exhibitions all year long, and from June 2nd -20th they will be having Nicole G. Meisberger’s Windows, Gates, & Doors-Indianapolis exhibition that explores the different viewpoints of entry & exit through photography around the city.
- Movie date night at the Indianapolis Museum of Art anyone? The IMA holds Friday night movies on the lawn at the amphitheater from June 6th –August 29th. And of course you can’t go to the IMA and pass up exploring their new and existing exhibits. You can visit The Museum, walk the 100 acre Virginia B. Fairbanks Art & Nature Park, tour the Oldfield’s Lilly or Miller’s house & gardens, and view performances at The Toby.
- What’s that deliciousness you smell? It’s none other than the Taste of Indy! On July 5th Indy’s restaurants will come together for a festival on the Canal. There will be a variety of good food, live music and events for all to enjoy. Come on, follow your nose over and have yourself a sampling!
- Hang out with some orangutans! Visit the Indianapolis Zoo, which recently opened the new and exciting, groundbreaking Orangutan exhibit. And while you’re there, don’t forget to visit the giraffes, lemurs, butterflies…you get the idea…
- What’s one of the best parts of summer? Fresh produce! Shop at the local Farmer’s Market, held every Wednesday from May through October at the City Market. Any recipes we should try with our fresh finds?
- Play ball! Or watch and support your favorite local teams play. Catch an Indian’s baseball or Indy Eleven soccer game! And let’s also plan for more games from the Pacer’s, eh?
- Cheers! For those of you 21+, tour some of the local wineries and/or breweries. Sampling some of the best local wines and brews in the area sounds like the perfect way to cool off on a hot summer day! And as always, please drink responsibly.
- Catch a concert at Klipsch Music Center. Whether you’re into country, rock, 90’s jams, or metal, they likely have someone on the schedule you’ll enjoy seeing!
- Come one, come all to the Indiana State Fair! Held Aug. 1-17th, you’ll find daily concerts, 4-H competitions, and lots of fun with family and friends.
These are just a few of the events happening in Indy this summer. You can go to Indy Downtown or Visit Indy to explore many other events and festivals coming up soon. What events you are looking forward to attending? Let us know below!