By: Lindsay Ferro & Yvonne Rush Merriam-Webster defines inspiration as “a person, place, experience, etc., that makes someone want to do or create something,” which got us thinking…. are people inspired by the same things? What types of people, places, and things inspire others to go out and live better lives? Shouldn’t we live and work in an environment that is continually encouraging us to be inspired? We decided to ask some of our peers in the Architectural & Design community to find out what stirs their creativity. See below for the inspiring responses!
- I find inspiration everywhere and in the most unlikely places. I think you have to get out of your comfort zone to experience design in places you haven’t been before. I find inspiration in magazines, on billboards, driving around the city, patterns in the sidewalk—everywhere! Kaitlyn, Interior Designer Indianapolis
- I find inspiration from both architecture and nature while walking around the city, browsing through design blogs & magazines, and brainstorming with coworkers. MacKenzie, Interior Designer Chicago
- I find inspiration in the context in which I’m working. Whether it is a small structure nestled in a wooded hillside, or a large building set in a dense urban fabric, I find inspiration and instruction from the surrounding palette. Daniel, Architect Indianapolis
- I usually find inspiration when I’m not looking for it. I remember it was about a year ago and we were camping; I was walking to the restroom, and I saw this really black mud that had the tiniest little bright green sprouts popping through it. I just remember thinking; I HAVE to use that somehow. Tony, Interior Designer Indianapolis
- I find inspiration in books and design blogs. The interiors, architecture and design section at the downtown Indy library is amazing!! My top 3 websites for inspiration are Material.nl, dornob.com, b-fragile.com. Caryl, Textile Sales Rep Indianapolis
- I draw inspiration from a wide range of sources. I’ve been appreciating moments of quiet reflection, simplifying and organizing my space. However, I must say that being around people who are positive and genuine is a powerful inspiration for me! Jae, A&D Sales Rep Indianapolis
- I find inspiration when I’m in a quiet place without distraction. My mind goes wild with possibilities. My imagination starts budding all kinds of opportunities to spread my creativity. Tracey, Architectural Specifications Manager Indianapolis
- I gain creative inspiration by staying curious about the world in which I live, through new experiences and adventures; as well as by listening to music and surrounding myself with other creative, innovative minds. Kelsey, Design & Sales Consultant Indianapolis
- I am inspired by innovation, ingenuity, and practicality. Why would you not want a better day? Greg, General Contractor Fort Wayne
- Design magazines and fashion are a big part of my inspiration. Another place is outdoors on nature hikes; I find a lot of interesting patterns and textures through nature. Amber, Interior Designer Fort Wayne
Can’t say we were surprised to hear some of our A&D peers are inspired by architecture & nature! However, inspiration comes from anywhere and everywhere, and it is different for every individual. No matter what your career or purpose is in life, it is important to go out and find the things that inspire you to lead a happy and meaningful life. Stay tuned for our next blog to see what inspires people outside of the A&D industry!